Updated 30th March 2020
This page has links to newsletters, fora, Facebook groups, podcasts and other ways of keeping connected.
In-person meetups with like-minded people can be very enjoyable, can help people get more involved in EA and keep up to date with EA related research.
Check out the EA Hub Groups List to see if there is a local EA group near you.
- The international EA events calendar, curated by several community members, lists high-quality speaker events and large social events suitable for anyone interested in EA. To add an event, fill out this form. If you notice an error in the calendar please email email@example.com.
- For a wider range of online events, check out the EA online events Facebook group.
- Special interest events are being run by some groups based on interest areas, affiliations, or professions.
- Join your nearest local EA group to attend events they may be running.
Add your details to the map of EAs on the EA hub, and check out other profiles from around the world.
The Effective Altruism Forum contains in-depth posts, articles and questions on EA cause areas. You can get a nuanced understanding of specific cause areas, and see the latest research being done in the community by EA organisations and community members.
If you’re able to travel, consider applying to attend an EAGx or EA Global conference, which are the main international conferences for the EA community.
You can also sign up for the newsletters of the different EA organisations to stay up to date with their progress.
Podcasts and Videos
The 80,000 Hours Podcast features unusually in-depth conversations on the world’s most pressing problems and how you can use your career to solve them.
Rationally Speaking Podcast Julia Galef speaks to guests as they critically explore a wide range of topics in philosophy, psychology, effective altruism, economics, technology, and more.
The Future Perfect Podcast studies some of today’s issues with an effective altruist lens. The first season investigates a range of problems and interventions, and the second the pros and cons of big philanthropy.
Many EA organisations have collected their videos on their YouTube channels. See this EA Forum post, which contains links to many of them.
These are groups for discussion of Effective Altruism-related topics. All are Facebook Groups unless otherwise indicated as fora or LinkedIn groups.
- Effective Altruism Forum
- Main Effective Altruism Group
- EA Hangouts (informal facebook group to casually discuss EA and non-EA topics)
- Effective Animal Advocacy- Discussion
- Reducing Wild Animal Suffering
- Wild Animal Suffering Project Discussion
- Effective Animal Advocacy Community Directory (A list of people who have indicated that they may be able to support those with interest in the area of animal advocacy)
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Safety
- AI Alignment Forum
- AI Safety Open Discussion (for everyone, especially beginners)
- AI Safety Discussion (people with AI/ML experience or familiarity)
- AI Safety & Security
Other Cause Areas
- International Development & Effective Altruism
- Cause Prioritisation
- Effective Environmentalism
- Institutional Decision-Making
- Mental Health & Happiness
- System Change
- LessWrong (Rationality Group)
- Coronavirus Discussion
Careers and Volunteering
Groups by Profession
These groups are a good place to get feedback on specialized or specific career paths and relevant job/internship/fellowship opportunities are often posted there. There is some discussion of the profession in relation to EA.
- AI Safety
- Academia (general)
- Artists and Designers
- Data Scientists
- Software, Data & Technology
- Management Consultants
- Policy and Politics (careers)
- Marketing & Communications
- Media & Journalism
- Art & Design
Affiliations and Identities
- Women & Non-binary
- WANBAM (Women and Non-Binary Altruism Mentorship) connects and supports a global network of women and non-binary Effective Altruists through mentorship.
- LGBTQIA+ people and allies
- Non-white ethnicity or race
Donations and Giving
- Earning to Give
- EA Giving Tuesday (Website, Facebook Page) - to coordinate donations during Facebook and Paypal’s yearly donation matching campaign
Community & Community-Building
- Facebook Group Organizers
- EA groups Slack workspace, where you can share resources and ask questions. To join the Slack workspace ask a fellow group organiser for an invite, or email the CEA groups team.
- Peer Support Group - This is a private Facebook group to offer support for people dealing with personal problems. Contact Pablo on Facebook to be added.
- Diversity and Inclusion in EA
- Life Coaching Exchange
Housing/Places to Stay
- EA Corner Discord Server An informal chat room hosted on Discord, with subthreads on many EA and non-EA related topics.
- Effective Altruism Subreddit
- Giving Games Discussion Group
- Editing and Review (for getting feedback on your work)
- EA Project for Awesome (P4A) - for coordinating voting and the creation of videos to funnel prize money to effective charities during an annual fundraiser
- Workplace Activism
If you have suggestions on how to improve this page, please comment or suggest edits on this google doc.