Updated 25th August 2020
This page has links to newsletters, fora, Facebook groups, podcasts and other ways of keeping connected.
These are groups for discussion of Effective Altruism-related topics. All are Facebook Groups unless otherwise indicated as fora or LinkedIn groups.
- Effective Altruism Forum
- Main Effective Altruism Group
- EA Hangouts (informal facebook group to casually discuss EA and non-EA topics)
- The EA Virtual Group is a place for people who can’t attend local EA groups to have regular online meetings to discuss EA ideas and support each other with their goals to have a positive impact.
- Effective Animal Advocacy- Discussion
- Reducing Wild Animal Suffering
- Wild Animal Suffering Project Discussion
- Effective Animal Advocacy Community Directory (A list of people who have indicated that they may be able to support those with interest in the area of animal advocacy)
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Safety
- AI Alignment Forum
- AI Safety Open Discussion (for everyone, especially beginners)
- AI Safety Discussion (people with AI/ML experience or familiarity)
- AI Safety & Security
- Existential Risk
- Global Catastrophic Risk
- Improving the Long-term Future and Effective Altruism
- Risks of Astronomical Suffering (s-risks)
Other Cause Areas
- International Development & Effective Altruism
- Cause Prioritisation
- Effective Environmentalism
- Institutional Decision-Making
- Mental Health & Happiness
- System Change
- LessWrong (Rationality Group)
- Coronavirus Discussion
Careers and Volunteering
Groups by Profession
These groups are a good place to get feedback on specialized or specific career paths and relevant job/internship/fellowship opportunities are often posted there. There is some discussion of the profession in relation to EA.
- AI Safety
- Academia (general)
- Effective Altruism Fundamental Research
- Artists and Designers
- Data Scientists
- Software, Data & Technology
- Management Consultants
- Policy and Politics (careers)
- Marketing & Communications
- Media & Journalism
- Art & Design
Affiliations and Attributes
- Women & Non-binary
- WANBAM connects and supports a global network of women, transgender, and non-binary people interested in Effective Altruism through mentorship.
- LGBTQIA+ people and allies
- Non-white ethnicity or race
- Disabled and Chronically Ill People
Donations and Giving
- Earning to Give
- EA Giving Tuesday (Website, Facebook Page) - to coordinate donations during Facebook and Paypal’s yearly donation matching campaign
- Giving What We Can Community
Community & Community-Building
- EA Group Organizers Facebook Group
- EA groups Slack workspace, where you can share resources and ask questions. Sign up here.
- EA Group Organisers Newsletter
- Peer Support Group - This is a private Facebook group to offer support for people dealing with personal problems. Contact Pablo on Facebook to be added.
- Diversity and Inclusion in EA
- Life Coaching Exchange
Housing/Places to Stay
- EA Corner Discord Server An informal chat room hosted on Discord, with subthreads on many EA and non-EA related topics.
- Effective Altruism Subreddit
- Giving Games Discussion Group
- Editing and Review (for getting feedback on your work)
- EA Project for Awesome (P4A) - for coordinating voting and the creation of videos to funnel prize money to effective charities during an annual fundraiser
- Workplace Activism
In-person meetups with like-minded people can be very enjoyable, can help people get more involved in EA and keep up to date with EA related research.
Check out the EA Hub Groups List to see if there is a local EA group near you.
- For a wide range of online events, check out the EA online events Facebook group.
- The international EA events calendar, curated by several community members, lists high-quality speaker events and large social events suitable for anyone interested in EA. To add an event, fill out this form. If you notice an error in the calendar please email email@example.com.
- Special interest events are being run by some groups based on interest areas, affiliations, or professions.
- Join your nearest local EA group to attend events they may be running.
The Effective Altruism Forum contains in-depth posts, articles and questions on EA cause areas. You can get a nuanced understanding of specific cause areas, and see the latest research being done in the community by EA organisations and community members.
If you’re able to travel, consider applying to attend an EAGx or EA Global conference, which are the main international conferences for the EA community.
Add your details to the map of EAs on the EA hub, and check out other profiles from around the world.
The AI alignment newsletter is a weekly publication with content relevant to AI aslighment.
Farmed Animal Welfare newsletter from Open Philanthropy.
But Can They Suffer newsletter summarises news, research, discussion, job opportunities, and events related to effective animal advocacy.
Criminal Justice Reform newsletter from Open Philanthropy is a monthly update highlighting the work and achievements of criminal justice reform grantees .
Effective Environmentalism newsletter is a monthly update on the newest research on effective ways to protect our environment and combat climate change.
You can also sign up for the newsletters of the different EA organisations to stay up to date with their progress.
Podcasts and Videos
The 80,000 Hours Podcast features unusually in-depth conversations on the world’s most pressing problems and how you can use your career to solve them.
Watch talks from Effective Altruism conferences on the Centre for Effective Altruism’s youtube channel.
Rationally Speaking Podcast Julia Galef speaks to guests as they critically explore a wide range of topics in philosophy, psychology, effective altruism, economics, technology, and more.
The Future of Life Podcast features Ariel Conn from the Future of Life Institute in conversation with prominent researchers, policy experts, philosophers, and other influential thinkers of all kinds.
The Future of Life Institute’s AI Alignment Podcast covers and explores the AI alignment problem across a large variety of domains, reflecting the fundamentally interdisciplinary nature of AI alignment.
The Sentience Institute Podcast features interviews with advocates, scientists, and entrepreneurs about the most effective strategies to expand humanity’s moral circle, with an emphasis on expanding the circle to farmed animals.
The Future Perfect Podcast studies some of today’s issues with an effective altruist lens. The first season investigates a range of problems and interventions, and the second the pros and cons of big philanthropy.
Many EA organisations have collected their videos on their YouTube channels. See this EA Forum post, which contains links to many of them.
A long list of EA Blogs, and a feed of the most recent blog entries can be found on the EA Blog Page.
If you have suggestions on how to improve this page, please comment or suggest edits on this google doc.